What Makes Us Different
As both a General Contractor and a Modular Contractor/Manufacturer we thoroughly understand which scopes of work are best performed at the modular factory and which scopes must be performed on the project site after the modular sections are erected.
Our modular team has a combined history of over 80 years with modular construction. We understand what the capabilities are of each modular manufacturer; That knowledge allows us to not try and have the modular factory perform work they are not comfortable with or do not have the expertise . Based on the individual modular factory, JC Elite determines whether we need to supplement the factory with our own specialty sub-contractors or perform a certain scope of work in the field to achieve the needed continuity and precision.
The reason we represent multiply manufacturers is because not all manufactures can build every type of project. Each manufacture specializes in different types of buildings. Whether it is the use of the building, the number of stories, the construction type, or construction spans required. JC Elite’s Modular Team knows which manufacturer is best suited for each project.
Knowing the limitations of each modular manufacturer allows us to assist with the design as to, what is modularly constructed and what needs to be site constructed from the start so that there is no wasted upfront design time.
The Benefits of Modular Construction
The benefits of modular construction are real and have been proven to developers & owners to:
- Reduce construction schedules by as much as 35%
- Eliminate down time due to weather for the work at the factory
- Less disruption to surrounding buildings
- Reduce construction administration costs
- Reduce interest carry costs
- Allow for faster recognition of revenue
- Reduce overall construction budgets by as much as 15%
What Are The Unknowns When Considering Modular Construction?
However, there are inherent challenges when using modular construction and that is where JC Elite Construction’s Modular Division can help maneuver those challenges and eliminate them for our clients.
The modular building industry and the developers who want to utilize this technology have had to deal with the fact that once the modular building sections are erected on their project site, there are scopes of work that need to be completed that cannot be done at the modular factory or by the factory on site. This requires the developer or owner to hire a separate general contractor to:
- Complete the MEP’s between floors and down the corridors
- Finish the corridors
- Install elevators
- Complete the sprinkler system
- Install part or all, of the exterior cladding
- Install the fire alarm system
- Installing roof top terraces
- Any MEP cross connections within the rooms built at the factory
If the developer’s/owner’s general contractor or subcontractors are not familiar with modular this can lead to scope gaps, change orders or even additional upfront costs because they are not familiar with modular construction; and this has always led to the owner/developer second guessing whether to use modular construction because they have to hire a modular company and then a separate general contractor rather than one company.
JC Elite understand these issues and that is why all, of our subcontractors have been trained in modular construction so that the costs are real and not inflated because of uncertainty.
In addition to the work still needed to be completed within the modular sections on site, each project still has a conventional portion of at least foundations/ basements, as well as the potential of a first-floor retail or parking, site utilities, hardscapes and landscapes, etc. Since JC Elite is the general contractor our pricing is for a complete turnkey project thus making us a one stop source for the entire project
Modular Does Not Work for Every Project
The experience of our modular and conventional construction teams can determine what portions of the project can be built using modular and which parts are more suitable to be constructed on site and married to the modular portion. We might also determine that certain project do not lend themselves at all to modular construction but rather a more traditional site-built approach. We will be straightforward to tell you if your project makes sense for modular or conventional site construction. If that is the case, our general construction team can provide pricing to build your project in a traditional site built manner.
Design Build Approach to Modular
JC Elite’s Modular Division offers complete design build services if you require an architect. The architects and engineers we team with all have decades of modular building experience and understand the nuances of designing with modular. If you already have an architect and they are open minded to learn the systems approach to building with modular our team will assist them.
Financial Peace of Mind
Many lenders are sometimes reluctant to finance modular construction because the modular factories cannot offer bonding or strong financial statements. JC Elite is a fully bondable company for our work and the work of the modular manufacturer. We represent modular manufactures that have the necessary financial strength to meet our bonding company’s requirements.
If your project requires funding JC Elite can bring private independent funding companies to work directly with you that understand modular construction.
- Complete turnkey design/build. (When you are looking for a one source to handle your complete design, modular building out and all associated non modular conventional site development work
- Complete turnkey build program. (When you already have an architect on board and want a modular expert to assist your architect with utilizing modular and then complete the project both the modular and conventional portions)
- Modular construction above your podium or basement. (When you already have an architect and general contractor on board and you are looking for a modular expert to supply the modular building, have it erected, and complete the work inside not done at the modular factory)
- Just the non-modular site development including work not done at the modular factory. (This is when you are looking for a modular knowledgeable general contractor to handle all of the conventional site development work along with the work within the modular building not completed at the factory)
- Owners rep. (This is for clients that already have a modular manufacturer and separate general contractor, but you need representation to oversea both the modular and non-modular work so that you end up with a complete project. Using our services as an owners-rep avoids the pitfalls of finger pointing between the modular manufacturer and the general contractor regarding scopes of work)
The Bottom Line
Modular construction is a proven alternative for building apartments, hotels, student housing, and condominiums. Once you determine from the beginning of the project that this method is how you want to proceed, and you are looking for one source to offer a complete turnkey approach to your building project, or simply having an owners rep that is experience in modular construction than JC Elite Construction and our Modular Building Division is your team.